- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
Cashew Caramel Layer:
- 48 Werther’s Original Vanilla Soft Crème Caramels
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) salted cashews
Shortbread Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan with enough parchment paper overhang edges slightly. In small bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
In food processor; pulse flour mixture and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Let cool completely.
Cashew Caramel Layer: Meanwhile, in saucepan, combine caramels and butter over medium-low heat; cook, whisking, for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted, blended and smooth. Stir in cashews.
Spread evenly over shortbread crust; smooth top. Let cool completely until caramel is set. Cut into bars.
• Substitute peanuts, pecans or almonds for cashews.
• Drizzle with melted dark chocolate as a variation.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Number of portions: 18