- 12 Werther’s Original Limited Edition Caramel Apple Caramels, unwrapped and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2/3 cup 35% whipping cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 Werther’s Original Limited Edition Caramel Apple Caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tbsp 35% whipping cream
Scones: Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Whisk together flour, brown and granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut butter into flour mixture using fingertips until mixture resembles pea-size crumbs. Toss with diced apples, chopped caramels and lemon zest.
Using fork, whisk together cream, egg and vanilla; stir into apple mixture just until moistened (do not overwork dough.)
Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; knead a few times just until dough comes together. Gently pat into 8-inch (20 cm) round, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges in circle shape on parchment paper–lined pizza pan, about 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart.
Brush tops lightly with cream. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Caramel Drizzle: Meanwhile, in small saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine Caramel Apple Caramels and cream; stir for 5 to 8 minutes or until melted and smooth. Drizzle over top of each scone.
Split scones and serve with dollop of clotted or whipped cream if desired.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Number of portions: 8