- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crushed graham crackers
- 16 Werther’s Original Soft Crème Caramels
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) 35% whipping cream
Caramel Cream Cheese Icing:
- 4 oz (125 g) brick-style cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) marshmallow fluff
- 1 tsp (5 mL) flaked sea salt
Graham Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Using electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Stir in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Fold in graham cracker crumbs.
Divide dough into 16 portions; roll each portion into a ball. Arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, about 3 inches (8 cm) apart. Press to flatten slightly.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool completely on baking sheet on rack.
Caramel Sauce: Meanwhile, in small saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine caramels, butter and cream. Cook, whisking, for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted and smooth. Let cool completely.
Caramel Cream Cheese Icing: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy; beat in butter until blended. Beat in icing sugar, salt and 1 tbsp Caramel Sauce just until smooth. Beat in marshmallow fluff until blended. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes or until slightly firmed.
Transfer icing to piping bag fitted with round tip; pipe concentric circles over each cookie. Drizzle each cookie generously with remaining caramel sauce; sprinkle with sea salt.
Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans or walnuts to the cookie as a variation.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Number of portions: 16