Soft Caramel Almond Cookies
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cup almond meal
- 128g Werther’s Soft Crème Caramels
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Number of portions: 36
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
4. Add in egg and almond extract and beat to combine.
5. Add in almond meal and stir.
6. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix on low until evenly combined.
7. Form a ball with about 2 tablespoons of dough. Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly with finger tips. Repeat with remaining dough.
8. Using the tip of your thumb, make a hole as deep as you can in each dough ball without poking through the bottom.
9. Bake cookies for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
10. Meanwhile, unwrap the caramels and cut each one in half.
11. Place ½ caramel piece into each of the formed thumb prints. Return cookies to oven immediately and bake until caramels have melted and cookies are golden around the edges, about another 5 minutes.
12. Transfer to a resting rack and let cool for 10 minutes.