Salted Caramel Brownies
- 42 pieces (256 g) Werther’s Original Soft Crème Caramels, unwrapped, divided
- ½ cup good-quality unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus ¼ tsp. to sprinkle over batter
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Number of portions: 24
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Line a 9 x 13–inch baking pan with parchment paper or greased aluminum foil.
3. Cut 24 caramels into small pieces, reserve remaining caramels.
4. Microwave chocolate and butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds.
5. Stir in the sugar.
6. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
7. Stir in the flour and ½ tsp. salt until combined.
8. Fold in the cut caramel pieces.
9. Pour the batter into the pan and spread with knife to level it.
10. Bake for 25 minutes or until brownies are set and just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
11. Let cool ½ hour.
12. Meanwhile, microwave remaining caramels with 1 tsp. water.
13. Drizzle over top of brownies and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Cool completely.
Use sharp scissors to cut the caramels.
Substitute brownie mix for scratch brownies to save time.